Sunday, December 21, 2008

My Artistic Side

Welcome and thanks for visiting. I started this blog to show the world my artistic side. About this time last year, hubby and I went to the Martin County Gem and Mineral show and this is where it all began.

All those cool rocks!!! I guess I would get that from my mother, as when she would travel out west
(Colorado, Nevada) she would always bring home rocks! She had a bowling bag that she would pack with rocks and bring them back to Florida. Some were polished, some were unusual, some were rocks. But going to that show, I heard the rocks. Okay, I am not crazy, but it was this feeling that rushes over you and the creativity begins.


The show was slow for a Sunday morning and this real nice person talked and show me all about wire wrapping stones. And then it started.

The following weekend was another show, closer to home and it became a shopping event. I wasn't sure what I was going to do with these rocks and beads when I got them home, but I was sure it would be interesting.

This was it, the very first attempt. The Tortoise.
What is really funny is that when I first started to sell my jewelry, it was the first piece sold. It has become so popular that it was duplicated with the owner's permission. And that is how it all started, with some beads and an agate tortoise.

In the year that has past, reflecting, it has been a learning experience. Stones, gemstones, rough, faceting, keeps me oh so busy.
Learning about different jewelry styles, materials, wholesale licenses, taxes, sales, self promoting, it never ends. And I hope it doesn't for a long, long time. I love learning and trying. Sometimes it is easy, sometimes it is hard and has to be a learning experience.

This has been a year of firsts, for which if it wasn't for the gem and mineral show, who knows???

Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, and take the time to breathe!

Shelley


No comments: